With RoomSketcher, it's fun to design your kitchen with our easy-to-use, drag-and-drop Home Designer. You can add and re-size appliances, shelves, kitchen cabinets, furniture, accessories, and more. This article covers how to:
- Draw Kitchen Walls and add Paint, Tile or Other Materials
- Find Kitchen Items
- Place Kitchen Items
- Customize Kitchen Items
- View Your Kitchen in 3D While You Design
- Customize How Your Kitchen Appears on Floor Plans
- Open Walls mode, select the wall, click Properties, and click Material Side A or Material Side B (the side of the wall that you wish to add materials to).
Here is an example kitchen with materials on one wall:
Here is an example with tile placed on two walls to create a backsplash effect:
- For more information, see Paint, Wallpaper, or Tile a Single Wall.
- Open Materials mode. Search for a material, such as Tiles, and drag the item into the room. For more information, see Paint and Decorate Walls.
- Open Materials mode. Search for a material, such as Hardwood Flooring, Tile, or Concrete, and drag the item into the room.
- Appliances, including ovens, sinks, refrigerators, microwaves, dishwashers, coffee makers and more.
- Accessories, such as bowls, fruit, knife blocks, books, and more....
- Wall items, such as cabinets, shelves, fireplaces, pictures and more.
- Lighting, including flushmount and pendants.
Below are some tips to help you find just the piece you want in your design, or watch this short video:
To View the Furniture Library: From RoomSketcher Home Designer, press the Furniture button in the bottom left. The furniture library appears.
To Browse Using Categories: Press the arrow to the left of the Search button to scroll through categories of furniture. Scroll to the Kitchen section to find groups of kitchen items.
To Type a Search Term: Type the name of an item and then press the Search button to display all items of that type. Then use the large green arrows to browse the library.
Top Tip - Favorites! Add your favorite pieces of furniture (and even materials) to your Favorites, for easy and quick access. To learn how, see this article: Use Favorites for Quick Access.
First, draw the walls for your kitchen in Walls mode. Then you are ready to add kitchen items! Here are our top tips on placing kitchen items on your floor plan:
- Hover to See Details: You can hover your mouse over an item to see a larger view popup and to check it's initial size (which you can change - see Customize Furniture below).
- Drag and Drop: Once you have located an item of furniture in the library, press and drag it onto your floor plan. The center green arrow points to the front of the item (the side you would place away from a wall).
- Use Best Fit: When an item is slightly too wide or narrow, you can right-click it and click Best Fit Width or Best Fit Length, like this:
and it automatically sizes to the space available:
For more information, see the article Use Best Fit to Size Items.
- Snapping: When placing kitchen items near the wall, or each other, they snap into place. If you want to disable snapping, press the CTRL key while you drag the item.
- Move: Press and drag the center of any item on the floor plan to move it.
- Rotate: Press and drag the curved green arrows to rotate the item.
- Delete: Press the red X to delete an item.
- Precise placement: You can zoom in to your floor plan using the Zoom tool on the bottom toolbar, or your mouse scroll-wheel. And you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard.
To place an item on top of another item
You may want to place a bowl or magazines on a table, or a picture above a fireplace. Here's how...
In this example, we will place flowers on top of a table.
- Determine the height of the table: Select the table and click Properties. Note the Height is 864 mm.
- Drag the flowers onto the table.
- Set the height of the flowers: Select the flowers and press Properties. Set the height of the flowers to be 864 mm. For best results, lock the height by pressing the checkbox just to the right.
Tip: To learn more about adding items on top of each other, see this article and video: Add Furniture and Wall Items On Top of Each Other.
Customize Kitchen Items
You can change the size of most pieces, choose the color/material for the kitchen cabinets, and Replace Materials for select items (VIP and Pro Subscriptions).
- Size furniture: Select an item and click Properties. You can adjust the Width, Depth, Height, and Height Above Floor.
- Use Best Fit to automatically size items: You can use Best Fit to automatically size cabinets, wardrobes and closets, stairs and furniture.To learn more, see the article Use Best Fit to Size Items.
- Choose the color & material for kitchen cabinets: In most instances, all cabinets are the same color or material, thus the option is centralized. Click Properties, then click the Level tab, and choose the paint or material for the Kitchen Top (Kitchen Counters) and Kitchen Front (Kitchen Cabinets).
Tip: The colors will not appear in Drawing mode, but will appear when you take a snapshot. See View Your Kitchen in 3D below. For more information, see the article: Customize the Materials on Kitchen Counters and Cabinets.
- Replace Materials: With a VIP or Pro Subscription, you can change the color and materials on select kitchen items that have the rainbow colored Replace Materials icon.
To learn more, see Replace Materials on Furniture and Fixtures.
- Take a 3D Photo: You can take a quick snapshot for an initial preview, and then take a 3D photo to see a beautiful photorealistic representation. To learn more, see Take Snapshots and Create 3D Photos.
- View in Live 3D (VIP & Pro Subscriptions): You can take a virtual walk through your kitchen. To learn more, see Live 3D Floor Plans.
Once you have completed your design, it's time to generate Floor Plans. To learn more, see: Generate and Print 2D and 3D Floor Plans.
If you have a Pro Subscription, you have additional Floor Plan customization options. To learn more, see:
- Customize How Your Kitchen is Displayed on 2D Floor Plans
- 2D Floor Plans - Customize Your Floor Plans
- 3D Floor Plans - Customize Your Floor Plans
Become a VIP or Pro
Don’t have a VIP or Pro subscription? No problem! Just log in to your existing RoomSketcher account and click Buy (next to your subscription details), or buy directly from our pricing page.