Once you have created a RoomSketcher account, you are ready to draw your first floor plan. It's fun and easy. This article describes the steps to start a floor plan on a PC or Mac.
This article covers the following topics:
- Start a New Project
- Draw Walls
- Add Windows, Doors and Stairs
- Add Materials - Flooring and Wall Coverings
- Add Furniture
- Take a Snapshot
- Save Your Project
You can also watch this short video:
Start a New Project
- Start from www.roomsketcher.com, and click Sign In (in the top right).
- Type your Email Address and Password and click Sign In, or sign in using Facebook. Your RoomSketcher Account page appears.
- Click New Project > Draw It Yourself. The New Project Wizard appears.
- Type the Project Name.
- Choose how many Levels (floors) your project should have (note that you can always add additional floors later).
- RoomSketcher Pro subscribers have the option to add Share Live 3D to the project.
- Click Create. The Project Dashboard for the project appears.
- Click the yellow Edit button. RoomSketcher Home Designer appears ready for you to start drawing your project.
Home Designer has 4 mode buttons on the bottom left side. These 4 modes guide you through the design process.
- Click the Walls mode button to change to Walls mode.
- Use the Thick Wall tool to draw an outside wall. In the drawing pane, click once where the wall starts, click each time it turns, and click again where the wall ends.
- Use Thin Walls to draw the interior walls. Again, click where the wall starts, click where it turns, and click where it ends against the outside wall.
Tip: Make sure that each wall snaps to other walls when drawing rooms. If you leave a small gap, you won’t have drawn a complete room, and then you could have issues when adding materials to the room.
- Use the Divider tool to create balconies, outside areas, railings and several zones in one room (for example to have separate room names and flooring material in an open kitchen/living room area).
- You can also draw a wall that is freestanding on one end (a split wall). To end this type of wall, click where you want the wall to end, and then press ESC on your keyboard, or click the Select tool.
Tip: You can also use the Select tool to select, move or delete a wall.
Add Windows, Doors & Stairs
- Click Windows etc to switch to Windows mode.
- In the Search box, type Windows and press Enter.
- Browse through the windows and drag one onto a wall in your floor plan.
Tip: You can use the same process to add a door or a stair.
Add Materials - Flooring and Wall Coverings
- Click Materials mode to customize wall or floor coverings.
- Type a category (for example, tiles or carpet) to narrow down your choices.
- Simply drag a material into a room.
Tip: To add materials on just one wall, see Paint a Single Wall.
- Now switch to Furniture mode.
- You can Search for a specific item, like a Sofa.
- Drag it onto the floor plan.
- Once you’ve placed an item of furniture, you can click and drag to move it, click and drag on the green arrows to rotate it, or click the x to delete it.
- Notice how the furniture snaps to the wall for accurate placement. You can turn off the snapping feature by pressing the Ctrl key while you move an item.
- To size an item of furniture, select it and click Properties.
Take a Snapshot
- Click and drag the green camera to position it to take snapshots and see your design.
- Double-click it to take a snapshot.
- The snapshot appears in the upper right.
- Click the Save button on the upper toolbar to save your project.
Learn how to: