Are you ready to dress the windows in your floor plans and models with curtains, drapes, sheers, or blinds? This article describes the steps on a PC or Mac, and covers how to:
Find and Add Window Treatments
RoomSketcher includes curtains, drapes, blinds, and roman shades to use in your projects.
- Open or create a project (with windows to dress) in RoomSketcher Home Designer.
- Click Furniture mode in the bottom left.
- In the Search box, type Curtains and press Enter. A library of window treatments appears, including curtains, drapes, and blinds.
- Simply click and drag to place a Window treatment over the window you wish to dress.
Size Window Treatments
To size a window treatment, first determine the size of your window, then size the window treatment.
To determine the size of the window:
- In RoomSketcher Home Designer, switch to Windows Etc. mode.
- On your floor plan, click to select the window you want to dress.
- Click the Properties button and note the Width, Length and Height Above Floor for the window. Note: Window width and height dimensions include the window trim.
Now, size the window treatment:
- Switch to Furniture mode.
- Now, click the window treatment that you placed in front of the window.
- Click Properties to open the properties for the treatment. Type in the Width, Length and Height Above Floor for the treatment. (See more information on calculating the Height Above Floor setting next).
Helpful Sizing Tips:
- Size As Usual - Size your virtual window treatment the same way you would size an actual window treatment. ie include the typical extra dimensions you would for width at the sides of your window and height clearances above the top of the window trim.
- Drapery - If the drapery has a rod. The width field in RoomSketcher includes the length of the rod.
- Blinds - If you want less of your window covered by a blind or roman shade- reduce the shade length. Note: If shade has a fabric pattern, this may cause distortion of the pattern.
Set Treatment Height
To place your window treatment at the correct height, you will need to determine the window's Top of Window height, then determine how much higher the treatment should sit, and then adjust the Height Above Floor or Length of the treatment.
To Determine Top of Window Height:
- In Windows, Etc.. mode, click to select the window you want to dress.
- Open Properties. The Properties for the window appear.
- Determine the Top of Window height: RoomSketcher windows are placed according to sill height ( in other words, Height Above Floor). To determine the Top of Window Height, add these two dimensions:
Height Above Floor + Height = Top of Window Height, including trim
Using the example above, 42in + 50in = 92 inches = the height at the top of the window, including the trim.
Now, determine your desired Top of Treatment height:
- Determine your desired Top of Treatment Height: Top of Treatment Height is often the same height as, or slightly higher than, the Top of Window Height. Pick the Top of Treatment Height based on your preferences. For our example, we will use 92 inches.
Now, calculate and set the Height Above Floor setting for the treatment:
- Determine the required Height Above Floor setting for the treatment:
Top of Treatment Height - Length of Treatment = Height Above Floor for Treatment.
Using the above example, 92 inches - 12 inches = 80 inches.
- In Furniture mode, click the window treatment that you placed in front of the window.
- Click Properties to open the properties for the treatment. Type in the Height Above Floor (in our example, 80) for the treatment.
Tip: Another way to effect the height of the treatment is to adjust the length. Height Above Floor + Length = Top of Treatment Height
Using our example, you could set the Length to 16 and the Height Above Floor to 74 to achieve the same treatment height of 92.