Do you have an existing floor plan drawing such as a blueprint, image or sketch? If you have a RoomSketcher Pro subscription, you can upload it to Home Designer to use as a template. With this Pro feature you can save time and create 2D and 3D Floor Plans faster!
This article describes the steps on a tablet. For the steps on a PC or Mac, see Draw a Floor Plan from a Blueprint (PC & Mac).
This article covers the following topics:
You can also watch this short video:
Before You Start
Ensure that the blueprint or sketch is on your tablet in JPG or PNG format. If the blueprint is on paper, take a photo of it using your tablet.
Upload a Blueprint, Image or Sketch
- Open RoomSketcher Home Designer on your tablet.
- On the left, press New Project and then Start from Scratch.
- From the Tools menu, press Blueprint Properties.
- Now press Upload in the lower right.
- Select a JPG or PNG image on your tablet.
- It appears in the Blueprint Properties area with the Rotate tab selected.
Rotate, Scale or Crop a Blueprint
The Blueprint Properties page has 3 tabs on the right side - Rotate, Scale, and Crop.
Use the Rotate tab to straighten or rotate a blueprint, zoom in or out and center the blueprint.
To straighten a blueprint:
- On the Rotate tab, press and drag the center of the Rotation tool to move it. Place it so that one end (the + part) is on a wall.
- Now press and drag the blue arrows on the other end of the tool and stretch it so that it is parallel to the wall. Your blueprint automatically straightens.
Other blueprint adjustments:
- Press Rotate 90 clockwise (on the right) to rotate a blueprint.
- You can also zoom in (+) or out (-), and center the blueprint in the window using the tools to the left of the image.
Use the Scale tab to scale a blueprint. You must scale a blueprint so that all measurements and furniture get sized correctly. To scale a blueprint, you indicate the length of one wall or item. Home Designer will scale the rest automatically.
To scale a blueprint:
- On the Scale tab, press the middle of the tape measure and drag it to an area with a known length.
- Press and drag the ends to size the tape measure to the item on the blueprint.
- Type the known length in the New Length field on the right.
- Press Apply. The blueprint is now scaled.
- If you do not need to crop the blueprint, press Save to close the Blueprint Properties page.
(Optional) Use the Crop tab to remove any extra text or space around your blueprint.
To crop a blueprint:
- Press and drag the blue lines close to the edges of the floor plan.
- Press Save to close the Blueprint Properties page.
Draw Over a Blueprint
Once you close the Blueprint Properties page, you are ready to draw, using your blueprint as a tracing guide.
Tip: Press Tools > Blueprint to toggle the blueprint ON or OFF as you draw.
- In Home Designer, open Walls mode to draw the walls, using the blueprint as a guide. Here are some tips:
- Press the + tab (upper right) to see the Room, Extension, and Wall tools.
- Using the Room tool (upper right), you can drag in a room, press Apply and then press and drag to size walls so that they are the same size as the blueprint.
- If you know the room size, you can type the Length X and Length Y first and then drag the room onto the plan over the blueprint.
- Draw over individual walls using the Wall tool.
- Tip: Ignore Doors and Windows as you draw. You will add them in the next step.
- Next open Windows mode and use the blueprint as a guide for where to add windows, doors, and stairs.
- Next open Materials mode to add floor, ceiling and wall finishes.
- In Furniture mode you can add appliances, fixtures, and furniture to complete the project.
Learn how to: