End of Life for Web Editor
After December 2020, it will no longer be possible to use Web Editor since Adobe will retire Flash. You can of course still edit and create projects with the RoomSketcher App. The RoomSketcher App gives you access to better usability, new features, and other helpful upgrades. Switch to the app now! Learn how
This article describes the steps using Web Editor. If you are using the RoomSketcher App, see Overview - Add Furniture to Your Projects (App).
With RoomSketcher, it's easy and fun to furnish your project. You can add and re-size furniture, accessories, appliances, kitchen cabinets, bath fixtures, outdoor items, and more. This article covers how to:
- Find Furniture
- Place Furniture
- Customize Furniture
- View Furniture While You Design
- Display or Hide Furniture on Your Floor Plans
RoomSketcher's furniture library contains thousands of brand-name and generic products. You'll find:
- Furniture, including sofas, chairs, tables, desks, buffets, area rugs, exercise equipment and more.
- Accessories, such as pillows, vases, plants, magazines, books, musical instruments, gym equipment and more.
- Wall items, such as fireplaces, pictures, mirrors, televisions and more.
- Fixtures, such as lighting, light switches and electrical outlets.
- Kitchen items, such as cabinets, sinks, coffee makers, fruit bowls and more.
- Bathroom or Laundry items, such as cabinets, bathtubs, showers, toilets, sinks, towel racks, a washer or dryer, and more.
- Outdoor items, such as cars, swimming pools, jacuzzis, outdoor furniture, umbrellas, outdoor fireplaces and more.
Here are some tips to help you find just the piece you want in your design.
To View the Furniture Library: From Web Editor, press the Furniture button in the bottom left. The furniture library appears.
To Browse Using Categories: Press the arrow to the left of the Search button to scroll through categories of furniture. For example, you could display all Sofa Beds.
To Type a Search Term: Type the name of an item and then press the Search button to display all items of that type. Then use the large green arrows to browse the library.
Top Tip - Favorites! Add your favorite pieces of furniture (and even materials) to your Favorites, for easy and quick access. To learn how, see this article: Use Favorites for Quick Access.
Here are our top tips on placing furniture on your floor plan.
- Hover to See Details: You can hover your mouse over an item to see a larger view popup and to check it's initial size (which you can change - see Customize Furniture below).
- Drag and Drop: Once you have located an item of furniture in the library, press and drag it onto your floor plan. The center green arrow points to the front of the item (the side you would place away from a wall).
- Move: Press and drag the center of any item on the floor plan to move it.
- Rotate: Press and drag the curved green arrows to rotate furniture (or rotate an object).
- Delete: Press the red X to delete an item.
- Snapping: When placing items near the wall, they snap into place. If you want to disable snapping, press the CTRL key while you drag the item.
- Precise placement: You can zoom in to your floor plan using the Zoom tool on the bottom toolbar, or your mouse scroll-wheel. And you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard.
To place an item on top of another item
You may want to place a bowl or magazines on a table, or a picture above a fireplace. Here's how...
In this example, we will place flowers on top of a table.
- Determine the height of the table: Select the table and click Properties. Note the Height is 864 mm.
- Drag the flowers onto the table.
- Set the height of the flowers: Select the flowers and press Properties. Set the height of the flowers to be 864 mm. For best results, lock the Height Above Floor by pressing the checkbox just to the right.
Tip: To learn more about adding wall items on top of each other, see this article and video: Add Furniture and Wall Items On Top of Each Other.
You can change the size of most pieces, and replace materials for selected items (VIP and Pro Subscriptions).
- Size furniture: Select an item and click Properties. You can adjust the Width, Depth, Height, and Height Above Floor.
- Use Best Fit to Automatically Size Items: You can use Best Fit to automatically size cabinets, wardrobes and closets, stairs and furniture.To learn more, see the article Use Best Fit to Size Items.
- Replace Materials: You can change the color and materials on select items. To learn more, see Replace Materials on Furniture and Fixtures.
- Take a 3D Photo: You can take a quick snapshot for an initial preview, and then take a 3D photo to see a beautiful photorealistic representation. To learn more, see Take Snapshots and Create 3D Photos.
- View in Live 3D (VIP & Pro Subscriptions): You can take a virtual walk through your design. To learn more, see Live 3D Floor Plans.
Once you have completed your design, it's time to generate Floor Plans. To learn more, see: Generate and Print 2D and 3D Floor Plans.
If you have a Pro Subscription, you can choose whether to display furniture on your floor plans, or not. To learn more, see:
Become a VIP or Pro
Don’t have a VIP or Pro subscription? No problem! Just log in to your existing RoomSketcher account and click Buy (next to your subscription details), or buy directly from our pricing page.