This article describes the steps using Web Editor. If you are using the RoomSketcher App, see Create Built-In Bookshelves (App).
In this article, you’ll find tips on how to create built-in bookcases and shelves, like in this living room:
We love the look of built-in shelves! Framing a fireplace with them is a great way to create a feature wall and gain some extra storage. Here’s how we created this look...
Draw a Fireplace and Chimney Enclosure
- Start in Walls mode, select Thin Wall and draw the walls around where the fireplace and chimney will go. This will allow you to add a finish on the chimney enclosure walls.
- Now, switch to Furniture mode, search for Fireplace, and add your favorite to the face of the wall.
- If you need to adjust the size of the fireplace to better fit on your wall, click to select the Fireplace, then click Properties and change the dimensions as needed.
Add a Different Wall Finish to the Feature Walls
In this example, we added a gray and white striped wallpaper to the walls of the chimney enclosure to create the feature wall.
- To do this, switch to Walls mode and click on the wall you want to add the finish to. You will see that the wall has a Side A and a Side B. Note which side you want to apply the new finish to. In our example, it’s Side A.
- Click Properties and click the Select Wall Material arrow button next to either Side A or Side B.
- Search for the type of wall finish you would like. In our example, we searched on Wallpaper Stripe. Click on it to select it and click OK to apply it to the wall. Do this on all three walls of the chimney enclosure.
Add a Wall Color
In this example, we added a gray paint to the surrounding walls, to match the striped wallpaper on the feature wall. Using a complementary color on your surrounding walls helps to highlight your feature wall. To add a wall finish to your room:
- Switch to Materials mode and search for Paint. Select your favorite and drag it onto your floor plan.
- You will be prompted to specify if you want to add it to the walls, floor or both. Select walls. Now your color has been applied to all the walls except your special wallpapered walls.
Add Bottom Bookcases
When stacking furniture, as we did here with the bookshelves and shelves, always start with the bottom first.
- Starting with the bookcases, switch to Furniture mode and search for Bookcase - in this example we have used Ikea Expedit bookcases (type in Bookcase Expedit to find this product). If you want closed storage, search for cabinets instead.
- Drag the bookcase onto the floor plan and place it to one side of the fireplace enclosure. Rotate it so that it is facing the room and place it against the wall in the middle.
- To scale the bookcase to extend from wall to wall - click on the bookcase to select it, then right-click and select Best Fit Width. The bookcase will now automatically scale to fit the space.
- If the walls on either side of your fireplace are the same length - click on the bookcase, then right-click and select Copy. Right-click again and select Paste to add a copy of the bookcase on the other side.
- If the walls are not the same length - use the Copy/Paste tools and then use Best Fit to adjust the size.
Add Wall Shelves
In this case, we added two shelves on the wall above each bookcase. Start with the lowest set of shelves first. Then repeat the steps to add the next set of shelves above.
- In Furniture mode, search for a wall shelf - in this example we have used Ikea Lack shelves (type in Shelf Lack to find the product).
- Drag it onto the floor plan and place it on top of the bookcase. Right-click to use Best Fit to adjust the length to fit the space.
- Click Properties and adjust the Height Above Floor of the shelf - we used 48” (1220 mm).
- To add the shelf for the other side - right-click and use Copy and Paste. The adjusted height will remain the same.
- Now, repeat the steps to add the next set of shelves above - we used 64” (1625 mm) as the Height Above Floor.
View the Results
- Take a snapshot to make sure it looks good.
- Then decorate your shelves with books and accessories for that final touch! In Furniture mode, search for Decoration to find a good selection to choose from.
- Paint and Decorate Walls (Web)
- Use Best Fit to Size Items (Web)
- Overview - Add Furniture to Floor Plans (Web)
- Add Furniture and Wall Items on Top of Each Other (Web)