End of Life for Web Editor
After December 2020, it will no longer be possible to use Web Editor since Adobe will retire Flash. You can of course still edit and create projects with the RoomSketcher App. The RoomSketcher App gives you access to better usability, new features, and other helpful upgrades. Switch to the app now! Learn how
This article describes the steps using Web Editor. If you are using the RoomSketcher App, see Stairs Between Two Floors or Levels (App).
This article shows our recommended process to build a multi-level project with stairs:
- Add Stairs on the Lower Floor/Level
- Create the Upper Level Based on the Level Below
- Add Railings to the Upper Level Stair Opening
Add Stairs on the Lower Floor/Level
- Open Web Editor and draw the room or floor plan that will contain stairs.
- Switch to Windows etc mode and search for Stairs.
Tip: You can hover over a stair in the library to see it’s dimensions. For best results, choose a full-length stair when adding it between 2 floors.
- Drag stairs onto the floor plan and place them in the desired location.
Tip: The red dot indicates the highest point of the stair.
- Click the stair in the floor plan, to select it, and then click Properties.
- Make sure that Floor to Ceiling is checked.
- (Optional) Adjust the width and length if needed.
- For Type, click Above Floor.
- Close the Properties page.
- (Optional) Position the camera and take a snapshot to view the stairs on the lower floor. At this point, without any customizations, your stairs may look like this:
- Click Save.
Tip: If you are planning to customize the color or materials on your stairs, it's a good idea to do so now, before you create the next level. See the article Add and Customize Stairs to learn how to change materials.
Create the Upper Level Based on the Level Below
When you create the upper level based on the level below it, the stairs that you added to the lower level will appear on the next level in the same location.
- Click New, then click New Level.
- To the right of Start from Scratch, click the picture of the previous floor/level to use it as a template for the new floor/level.
- The upper floor/level appears in Web Editor. Notice that the stairs are in the same location.
- Click to select the stair, and then click Properties.
- For Type, click Below Floor.
- Close the Properties page and edit the upper floor/level (add, move, or remove walls, etc) as needed.
Add Railings to the Upper Level Stair Opening
- In Web Editor, switch to Walls mode.
- Click the Divider tool.
- Draw a divider line around the stair opening where the railing will be placed.
- Click Select.
- Click a divider line to select it, then click Properties.
- On the Divider tab, click the arrow next to Railing.
- Click a railing style to select it and then click OK. Leave the Properties page open.
- Click another divider line and click the arrow next to Railing. Choose the railing for this line.
- When you are done, close the Properties page.
- (Optional) Position the camera and take a snapshot to view the stairs on the upper floor. Without any customizations, the stairs may look like this: