This article describes the steps for the web version. To learn how for the app (Mac, Windows, and tablet), see Add Bay Windows (App).
Bay windows extend out from a wall, increasing the natural light flowing into a room, making it appear larger, and improving views.
Follow along to learn some simple tips and tricks to add bay windows to your RoomSketcher projects. This article covers how to:
Or, watch this short video:
Draw the Wall Structure
The easy way to create a bay window in RoomSketcher is to use two “helper” walls. Helper walls are ones you add while creating the bay window, then later remove.
To add a helper wall:
- In RoomSketcher Home Designer, click Walls mode.
- Click to start the helper wall, drag, click again at the location where you want to end the wall, and then press ESC to end the wall (without connecting it to another wall).
Wall Sizing Tips:
- The length of each helper wall is the distance that your bay window extends out from the wall. In the example above, it is .7 meters
- The distance between the two helper walls is the length of the middle section of your bay window. In the example above, it is 2 meters.
- If you aren’t able to size the helper wall exactly while you draw it, draw it close in size, then zoom in to the floor plan (using the zoom button on the lower toolbar) and then click and drag to size the wall.
Once you’ve added the two helper walls, it’s easy to add the diagonal walls on each side. Be sure to use the same angle for each of the side walls. In our example, the angle is 45 degrees.
Once you’ve added the two diagonal side walls, add the center wall of your bay window.
Remove Helper Walls
Simply click a helper wall to select it, and click the red X to remove each helper wall.
Once you have the wall structure of the bay window in place, switch to Windows mode, and drag and drop to add windows.
Tip: Once you have added a window, simply select it and click Properties to adjust the width of the window.
In no time, you’ll have a beautiful bay window in your design.