This article describes the steps for the app (Mac, Windows, and tablet). To learn how for the web version, see Add Bay Windows (Web).
Bay windows extend out from a wall, increasing the natural light flowing into a room, making it appear larger, and improving views.
Follow along to learn some simple tips and tricks to add bay windows to your RoomSketcher projects. This article covers how to:
Draw the Wall Structure
The easy way to create a bay window in RoomSketcher is to use two “helper” walls. Helper walls are ones you add while creating the bay window, then later remove.
To add a helper wall
- In the RoomSketcher Home Designer app, click the red Mode button and open Walls mode.
- Click or tap Draw Interior Walls to select it, then click to start the helper wall, drag, and click again at the location where you want to end the wall. To end the wall, press ESC on your keyboard or click the Select tool.
Wall Sizing Tips:
- The length of each helper wall is the distance that your bay window extends out from the wall. In our example, it is .7 meters
- The distance between the two helper walls is the length of the middle section of your bay window. In our example, it is 2 meters.
- If you aren’t able to size the helper wall exactly while you draw it, you can either:
- Draw it close in size, then zoom in to the floor plan (use the scroll wheel on your mouse, or click Menu > Zoom Controller).Click the Select tool and then click the end of the wall so that 4 gray arrows appear. Then press and drag the end to size the wall.
- Click the Select tool and then click the end of the wall so that 4 gray arrows appear. You can then type the wall length on the right.
Once you’ve added the two helper walls, it’s easy to add the diagonal walls on each side. This is easiest to do if you have zoomed way in. Be sure to use the same angle for each of the side walls. In our example, the angle is 45 degrees.
Once you’ve added the two diagonal side walls, add the center wall of your bay window.
Remove Helper Walls
Click the Select tool and click a helper wall to select it, then press the DEL key on your keyboard or click Trash in the top toolbar.
Once you have the wall structure of the bay window in place, switch to Windows mode, and open the Windows category to add windows.
Tip: Once you have added a window, simply select it and its Properties appear on the right. You can adjust the width, height and more.
In no time, you’ll have a beautiful bay window in your design.