Do you have an existing floor plan drawing such as a blueprint, image or sketch? If you have a RoomSketcher Pro subscription, you can upload it to Home Designer to use as a template. With this Pro feature you can save time and create 2D and 3D Floor Plans faster!
This article describes the steps if you are using RoomSketcher Home Designer (App). For the steps using RoomSketcher Home Designer (Web), see Draw a Floor Plan from a Blueprint (Web).
This article covers the following topics:
You can also watch this short video:
Before You Start
Ensure that the blueprint or sketch is on your tablet in JPG or PNG format. If the blueprint is on paper, take a photo of it using your tablet.
Upload a Blueprint, Image or Sketch
First, start a new project
If you already have a new project open, you can skip to the next section, Upload a blueprint.
- Open RoomSketcher Home Designer (App).
- On the left, click or tap Menu (yellow button in the top left) and then, under Project, click New.
- Click Start from Scratch. A blank canvas appears.
Upload a blueprint
- Click Menu (yellow button in the top left) and under View, click Blueprint Properties.
- The Blueprint Upload page appears. Press Upload in the lower right.
- Select a JPG or PNG image on your device and then click Open.
- The blueprint appears in the Blueprint Properties area.
Rotate, Scale or Crop a Blueprint
The Blueprint Properties page has 3 tabs on the right side - Rotate, Scale, and Crop.
Use the Rotate tab to straighten or rotate a blueprint, zoom in or out and center the blueprint.
To straighten a blueprint:
- On the Rotate tab, press and drag the center of the Rotation tool to move it. Place it so that one end (the + part) is on a wall.
- Now press and drag the blue arrows on the other end of the tool and stretch it so that it is parallel to the wall. Your blueprint automatically straightens.
Other blueprint adjustments:
- Press Rotate 90 clockwise (on the right) to rotate a blueprint.
- You can also zoom in (+) or out (-), and center the blueprint in the window using the tools to the left of the image.
Use the Scale tab to scale a blueprint. You must scale a blueprint so that all measurements and furniture get sized correctly. To scale a blueprint, you indicate the length of one wall or item. Home Designer will scale the rest automatically.
To scale a blueprint:
- On the Scale tab, press the middle of the tape measure and drag it to an area with a known length.
- Press and drag the ends to size the tape measure to the item on the blueprint.
- Type the known length in the New Length field on the right.
- Press Apply. The blueprint is now scaled.
- If you do not need to crop the blueprint, press Save to close the Blueprint Properties page.
(Optional) Use the Crop tab to remove any extra text or space around your blueprint.
To crop a blueprint:
- Press and drag the blue lines close to the edges of the floor plan.
- Press Save to close the Blueprint Properties page.
Draw Over a Blueprint
Once you close the Blueprint Properties page, you are ready to draw, using your blueprint as a tracing guide.
Tip: Press Menu > Blueprint to toggle the blueprint ON or OFF as you draw.
- In Home Designer, open Walls mode to draw all the walls, using the blueprint as a guide. Here are some tips:
- Press the + tab (upper right) to see the Walls tools.
- Tip: Ignore Doors and Windows as you draw. You will add them in the next step.
- Next open Windows mode and use the blueprint as a guide for where to add windows, doors, and stairs.
- Next open Materials mode to add floor, ceiling and wall finishes.
- In Furniture mode, you can add appliances, fixtures, and furniture to complete the project.
Learn how to: