This article describes the steps for the app (Mac, Windows and tablet). To learn how for the web version, see Draw a Yard, Garden, or Outdoor Area (Web).
You can add impressive outdoor areas to your floor plans. Make a lawn, path, driveway or garden bed by drawing zones. This article covers the following topics:
- Draw an Outdoor Zone
- Add Additional Zones
- Add Materials
- Add Fences, Railings, or Hedges
- Add Furniture and Accessories
- An Example Garden with Soil and Plants
Draw an Outdoor Zone
Tip: Before you start drawing outdoor zones, it’s a good idea to paint the exterior of your building. It is a quicker process to paint all the exterior walls before you create outdoor zones. For detailed steps on how to paint the exterior of a building, see Paint and Decorate Walls (App).
To draw an outdoor zone
- Open a project in the RoomSketcher Home Designer app.
- Click or tap the red Mode button and open Walls mode.
- Click the Divider tool and draw the outline of your outdoor area. Make sure to draw a completely enclosed area (or you will not be able to add grass and other materials in the next steps).
Add Additional Zones
Use this technique to add paths, patios, garden areas, or even a swimming pool!
- In Walls mode, if needed, click the Add tab to access the wall and divider line tools.
- Click the Divider tool and draw additional zones. Remember to draw complete enclosed shapes.
- Click the Select tool and select an area or zone to view its Properties on the right. If desired, you can type a name for the area, such as “Driveway” or “Yard” in Zone Name.
- Click Advanced Properties and set Show Ceiling to OFF for each zone or area.
Materials include concrete, grass, soil, and even water (if your zone will be a pool).
- In Home Designer, click the red Mode button and switch to Materials mode.
- Click a zone or area to select it, and then click Floor Material on the right.
- Search for a yard material, such as Concrete, Grass, Gravel, Soil, Paving stone, or Water. Then, click on the material and click Apply.
- Repeat until you have added materials to each area or zone.
- To see the results in 3D, take a snapshot.
Add Fences, Railings or Hedges
There are two ways to add a garden fence, railing, or hedge.
- In Furniture mode, search for Fence and add one to your plan.
- For a larger selection of fences, or to add a hedge, in Walls mode, use the Select tool and click a divider line (that you added when drawing your outside zones above) to select it. On the right, click Railing. Click a fence or hedge to select it, then click Apply.
- To see the results in 3D, take a Snapshot.
Add Furniture & Accessories
Find outdoor furniture and accessories in Furniture mode (tip: Open the Outdoor category, or use the Search to locate items). You’ll find cars, bicycles, lawn mowers, fences & garden gates, outdoor fireplaces, pools, swing sets and much more.
- Find garage doors in Windows, etc mode (along with all other doors).
- Another way to add a pool (besides choosing one in Furniture mode) is to create a zone with the Divider tool, and use Materials mode to add the material “Water.” You can select the pool area and adjust the floor height to lower the pool water height to below ground level.
An Example Garden with Soil and Plants
You can add soil to a zone or area, and then add plants.
To add soil
- In Materials mode, select a zone, click Floor Material and search for Soil. Click on the soil to select it and click Apply. The soil appears in the zone.
To add plants
- Click the red Mode button and switch to Furniture mode.
- Open the Plants & Accessories category or use the Search to find plant, tree or flower. Since in this example, we are placing plants in the soil, look for items without a planter pot. Click an item to select it and click to place it in the garden bed.
- When you place the item in the flower bed, its Properties appear on the right. You can make a plant bigger or smaller by changing the Height, Width, and Depth.
- To add another plant, click the Add (+) tab.
- To see your design in 3D, take a Snapshot.
- Draw a Balcony or Deck with Optional Railing
- Add a Garden Gate (App)
- Create a 2D Site Plan (App)
- Create a 3D Site Plan (App)